The process of Paper Mache involved using flour and water to attach newspaper onto balls of newspaper filled tape circles. After that has dried, I added thick layers of flour covered paper towel.
My piece was successful because of the shapes I used. I think the lumpy shapes for the snowman added character and made it look less generic and more like actual snow. I think the painting also turned out successful with the touch of blue.
The most difficult part was the flour. It was sticky and hard to control so I had quite a bit of trouble when using it.
The process of throwing involves using the spinning wheel to your advantage to make an even and steady piece, its mainly used for cups and bowls and can make them symmetrical.
Difficulties was keeping a firm grasp on my piece. This caused the piece to wobble and break apart, many.....many....times. When you don't have a firm grasp your piece won't end up being symmetrical either.
What I found successful was being able to control the speed at the appropriate levels.
The tripod cup was one of the quickest projects I've done in class, cause usually I take like 200 days, but I was able to get this one done in 1. I really like how it was super simple to design, texture and come up with the cup. I also like how fluid it was and how much control you had over the style.
Pit fire pieces are placed within a saggar and placed inside a pit fire. The saggar protects the pieces from being ruined and and keeps it safe. The fire allows the minerals within the clay to come out and show through, making splashes of color.
I think my piece was successful overall. I really like the texture that I created and I think it gave the piece character. The colors that came from the pit fire really made it interesting and I'm surprised how much I ended up liking it.
The process after the initial shape of the sgraffito project was interesting, but simple. First I covered the cup with a black layer of glaze. From there, I was able to use a scraper to scrape a design out of the black to create a design. I made a pumpkin patch with some stars in the sky. From there I added orange highlights to give the cup a sense of pop.
I thought the process was actually quite interesting, it was something I didn't think would work out well, but ended up being fun. My favorite part was adding orange highlights to the piece, because it allowed it to stand out.
My piece was pretty successful because I like how the effects and shapes turned out, I don't like the size of the cup and I wish it was a bit smaller, but it can be used for larger things like pens and pencils.
The vase was called the Pelike. In the past it was used to carry a variety of liquids, mostly water, in order to transport.
I worked on all of the art in the orange vase part between the registers.
Sgraffito: This is when you take a piece and scrape away the top layer in order to reveal a design within the bottom layer of the piece.
Register: These are the black strips on the piece that show small details of the story.
For my piece I started with the crown because I envisioned an idea that was based around a crown that popped out 3D. From there, I decided on small jewels and necklaces as well as playing cards to fit the "fable" theme. Finally, I created a backdrop that had fun colors that brought out the crown more and created depth.
The most difficult part of this piece for me was getting the crown to stay popped out and not sunken into the piece. I ended up fixing this by reinforcing the crown with thick piece of stock paper.
I found the backdrop very successful for this piece cause it was super fun to make and contained colors that weren't generic and commonly used.
The process for this piece was very difficult because you had to make sure you didn't waste any of the paper and created a innovative design that was unique and non-generic.
I found the different folds and swirls very successful because it allowed me to be a little creative and make things different from one another.
I found the idea I used very successful for this project, I think the style of the cup definitely acted as a nice base for the idea and helped me achieve my goal much easier. The cup shape was a good baseline for the ribcage,
I think this medium was very difficult for me as I have many accidents when working on art and this project doesn't allow for mistakes cause it could mess up the whole piece.
Throughout all the difficulty, I think the final project came out really cool and I'm glad I learned how to use different mediums to make sculptures.
An installation is a object that is made to occupy space or make up something in an area where there's nothing, Many people use different materials and ideas to create their pieces and spread their ideas.
I think the finished project is really nice. It shows everyone's different creative pieces all put together and gives a sense of unity. I really like how the cardboard shines through because it reminds us that the forgotten things in life can be turned into beautiful sculptures.
If this was my personal project I would probably go for a more scenic style with a backdrop and hanging stars. I would want it to have a more immersive feeling to it rather than within a normal environment.
In my group we were responsible for creating the base of the tree. Together, we came up with an idea on how the base would stay secure and stable. After various different styles of bases, we finally came up with an idea that was used for the final project.